In its RC Medium-term Plan, MGC has established targets for a quantitative reduction in environmental impact and is striving to achieve them.
Under the MGC Group Environment and Safety Council, MGC and other member companies are engaged in activities conforming to Responsible Care, establishing targets for a quantitative reduction in environmental impact and striving to achieve them.
Quantitative Environmental Conservation Targets through Fiscal 2020 (RC Medium-term Plan 2020: 2018–2020)
- 1. Reduce the energy intensity to 89% or lower compared with fiscal 1990 level.
- 2. Reduce GHG emissions intensity to 66% or lower compared with fiscal1990 level (90% or lower compared with fiscal 2016 level).
Reduce GHG emissions volume by at least 320,000 tons (CO2 equivalent) compared to fiscal 1990 (reduce by at least 100,000 tons compared to fiscal 2016).
- 3. Zero emissions of wastes: 0.3% or less final disposal of generated wastes, by weight).
- 4. Reduce emissions of PRTR substances by 10% compared with fiscal 2017.
MGC Group Environment and Safety Council Waste Reduction Target (2016-2018)
Target: Reduce the volume of waste disposed of in landfills by 10% by fiscal 2018 compared to fiscal 2015 volume excluding temporary increases.
Current status: This target has not been reached due to the effect of temporary generation of waste and waste catalyst in conjunction with a business reorganization and a change to landfill disposal for waste activated sludge, resulting in an increase in final disposal volume above the benchmark. The MCG Group will continue its efforts to reduce waste.
Volume of waste disposed of in landfills and reduction rate (MGC alone + Domestic MGC Group)
- * Mitsubishi Gas Chemical unconsolidated: 586 tons (594 tons -8 tons), the estimated amount of the portion of the increase from waste catalyst processing in conjunction with the shutdown of NF ammonia equipment, which was a temporary increase, was deducted from the 700 ton result in FY 2015.
- * FY 2015 results are the benchmark.